Local Private Owner wagons

We came across a collection of a hundred or so old photographs of private owner coal wagons whilst browsing at an antique fair one day. Taking a closer look we found a couple which were of local interest and so bought them for our memorabilia collection. A few more have since been added from various sources and this page will grow should we ever come across any others. Our favourite is of course the Ernest Franklin one from Culham.

Also in our collection are a growing number of Private Owner wagons in model form, mostly in 4mm or '00'scale but with a few in 'N' and also the large 'O' scale, some being commercially available, others produced as a limited edition, and a number being commissioned specially by ourselves. A gallery featuring photographs of many of the models in our collection can be seen following the images of the real thing. This collection is bound to be added to over time!

Photographs of Private Owner wagons


Ernest Franklin
Author's collection

Ernest Franklin, Culham

Ernest Franklin, Coal & Coke Merchant, wagon no.5

Made by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Limited and photographed in October 1904
Dimensions given are 14'5" x 6'11" x 3'1"
Painted red with white lettering shaded black
The wagon is marked as being 5-13-1 tare (unloaded) and to carry a load of 8 tons

Although the coal yard was at Culham Station, the postal address is given as being Clifton Hampden, Abingdon.



Langford & Sons
Author's collection

R.S.Langford & Sons, Steventon Challow & Abingdon

R.S.Langford & Sons, wagon no.10

Made by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Limited and photographed in November 1901
Dimensions given are 14'5" x 6'11" x 4'0"
Painted bright red with white lettering shaded black
The wagon is marked as being 6-4-0 tare (unloaded) and to carry a load of 10 tons

The GWR main line reached Steventon in 1840 and was at that time the nearest station to Oxford, it remained in use until closed in 1964. Challow station opened as Faringdon Road in 1840, and was renamed Challow on the opening of the short branch to Faringdon in 1864. Goods services were withdrawn in 1965 and little remains on the station site. The broad gauge Abingdon branch opened in 1856. Following closure to passengers in 1963 the station retained some coal traffic and cars from the MG factory were loaded there for onward delivery. Final closure came in 1984 when the MG factory ceased production and the track was lifted shortly afterwards. The layout of the station and goods yard can still be discerned in the shape of a supermarket car park which was built on the site, and much of the line of the branch can be walked as portions have been converted to a foot and cycle path.



W.Woodley
Author's collection

W.Woodley, Oxford

W.Woodley, wagon no.3

Made by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Limited and photographed in July 1891(?)
Dimensions cannot be made out
Painted black(?) with white lettering
The wagon is marked as being 5-15-3 tare (unloaded) and to carry a load of 10 tons

This photograph appears to be a copy rather than being printed from a negative and much detail has been lost. The axle boxes can be seen to be marked GWR however.



T.J.Robbins
Author's collection

T.J.Robbins, Wheatley Oxon. G.W.R.

T.J.Robbins, Coal & Coke Merchant, wagon no.7

Made by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Limited and photographed in September 1902
Dimensions given are 14'5" x 6'11" x 3'1"
Painted black with white letters
The wagon is marked as being 5-12-2 tare (unloaded) and to carry a load of 8 tons

Wheatley station opened in 1864 on the line between Oxford and Princes Risborough via Thame and closed in 1963. Some goods services and diverted passenger trains continued along the line until the track was closed between Thame and Morris Cowley in 1968. Whilst no evidence of the station site itself remains, the main road is still named Station Road.



George Wright
Author's collection

George Wright, G.W.R. Thame

George Wright, wagon no.5

Made by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Limited and photographed in December 1897
Dimensions given are 14'5" x 7'0" x 3'2"
Painted red with white letters shaded black
The wagon is marked as being 5-17-1 tare (unloaded) and to carry a load of 8 tons

Thame station was opened in 1862 as the terminus of the branch from High Wycombe via Princes Risborough. The line was extended via Wheatley and Littlemore to join the Didcot to Oxford line at Kennington Junction, and thus reach Oxford, in 1864. In 1963 British Railways withdrew passenger services between Princes Risborough and Oxford, closed all intermediate stations including Thame, and dismantled the track between Thame and Cowley. A BP depot remained at Thame and the line from Princes Risborough remained open for oil trains to serve it. In 1991 the oil depot was closed. A few years later all track between Thame and Princes Risborough was lifted, with the exception of a short stub at the Princes Risborough end.



S.G.Faoster
Author's collection

S.G.Foster, Thame

S.G.Foster, wagon no.50

Made by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Limited and photographed in November 1911
Dimensions given are 14'5" x 7'0" x 3'2"
Painted chocolate with white letters shaded black
The wagon is marked as being 5-19-0 tare (unloaded) and to carry a load of 8 tons



John Wright
Author's collection

John Wright, Coal Merchant, Thame

John Wright, wagon no.7

Made by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Limited and photographed in November 1914
Dimensions given are 14'6" x 7'0" x 4'0"
Painted red with white letters shaded black
The wagon is marked as being 6-5-3 tare (unloaded) and to carry a load of 10 tons

Could John and George Wright (above) have been related?



Our collection of model Private Owner wagons


'O' gauge



John North
Dapol MU99006, limited edition for Modellbahn Union (5/23)
A.Bramley
Dapol 7F-052-017


'00' gauge



Ernest Franklin
Robbie's Rolling Stock commission
J.H.Hutt
Robbie's Rolling Stock commission
E.Welford
Oxford Rail OR76MW7003
B.Turner
Dapol, limited edition for 1E Promotionals (54/250)
A.Bramley
Dapol 4F-052-013
Stevens
Dapol 4F-052-003
John North
Dapol MU90018, limited edition for Modellbahn Union (40/90)
Richard White
Dapol 4F-072-007
C.& G.Ayres
Dapol 4F-037-105
Embling & Son
Dapol 4F-080-122
A.Telling
Dapol 4F-052-023
Stevens
Hornby R6841
Abingdon on Thames Gas Company
West Wales Wagon Works limited edition (79/104)
Oxford & District Gas Company
Lima 30-5614W
W.H.Wallis & Co
Bachmann 37-072


'N' gauge



R.S.Langford
Robbie's Rolling Stock commission
Pemberton
West Wales Wagon Works
Marriott
Dapol 2F-038-022
B.Turner
Peco limited edition twin pack for Osborn's Models OSBP001 (250 produced)